Mango Kiwi Tart with Brown Sugar Walnut Crust

I love sugared walnuts. They are really amazing. A million years ago I used to go to McDonalds (gasp) on my break and get the apple/walnut/...

I love sugared walnuts. They are really amazing. A million years ago I used to go to McDonalds (gasp) on my break and get the apple/walnut/yogurt thing with the sugary walnut pieces. I love that sugar-coated walnuts was their "healthy option." Anyways, I haven't eaten at McDonalds in many many years and never will again, so don't worry, this tart doesn't taste like McDonalds. 
I had an abundance of mangos and kiwi, that I bought without a plan or reason to have them. It's then end of summer, thank god, and soon we will all stop sweating, but we won't have such fresh fruit, so act fast! 


Mangoes are actually pretty difficult to slice into uniform spears. Mine weren't perfect, but they still tasted good. Go for chunks if you are in need of magazine-cover-photo status. I sliced my kiwi pretty thin so I could get them to evenly overlap. I figured a blackberry for the center was in order, for contrast and cuteness.


The tart benefited from some time in the freezer, especially since it was so hot in my apartment. I let it thaw for 20 minutes before slicing it and it was the perfect consistency. Also if you dip your knife in water it helps slice the tart super sleekly without a bunch of filling getting all stuck to the sides of your knife and not on your plate, where it can get into your mouth, where it belongs. duh.


My new place has a window sill in the kitchen! It has nice light and it lets me take all sorts of foodie photos such as this one. My camera is of super sweet pro-status too. It's cool because it takes calls, has instagram access and I send and receive texts from it. Age of convenience. 


To be considered a real foodie person, you have to take overhead shots like this one. See? I'm learning.

Mango Kiwi Tart

1 cup all purpose un-bleached flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
pinch of salt

3/4 package silken tofu
1/4 cup cashews
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2/3 cup sugar

2 tablespoons apricot jam or orange marmalade
1 tablespoon water

mango spears
kiwi slices
1 blackberry, optional

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
In a food processor, pulse together the walnuts, oats, brown sugar, salt, and flour. Slowly stream in the maple syrup, until the mixture holds together when pressed. Grease an 11" tart pan lightly with cooking spray, and press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan and up the sides. Poke the crust a few times with a fork, so it releases steam while it bakes and doesn't get all puffy, especially around the edges. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
In a blender, blend tofu, cashews, soy milk, vanilla and almond extracts, coconut, and sugar until very smooth. Pour into cooled crust.
Carefully arrange fruit on tart by pressing lightly on each piece into the filling. I like to overlap the kiwi slices, then do a circle of mango spears, then a blackberry in the center. Mango spears are kind of hard to get uniform so feel free to do chunks instead. 
Mix together the jam and water, and brush an ample amount over each piece of fruit. Let set in the fridge overnight, or freeze. If freezing, thaw for at least 20 minutes before serving.

You Might Also Like

0 comments