Pumpkin Chip Scones

Sometimes my boss sends me to get coffee two doors down at Starbucks, and yesterday he asked me to get him a pumpkin scone. He asked me if ...

Sometimes my boss sends me to get coffee two doors down at Starbucks, and yesterday he asked me to get him a pumpkin scone. He asked me if I eat scones, and I said, not unless I make them. Then of course he asked what makes a scone un-vegan and then I told him how I make my scones and then I realized I was talking about baking for at least 5 minutes and he had probably stopped listening after thirty seconds. Either way, I left with pumpkin scones on the brain, and set out to make some.


In hindsight, I would have cut them a little thicker, but hey, scones that look like pizza slices are okay too.





I drizzled them with maple syrup and sprinkled with turbinado sugar before the oven. Maybe next time I will do that after the oven.


Pumpkin Chip Scones:

1 cup pumpkin, from a can is fine
2 tablespoons almond milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil, cold
1/2 cup mini chips

*If you ever bake with coconut oil, you know that when it's cold, it's like rock hard, and hard to get exactly how much you need out of the jar. I like to measure it warm, pour it into small tupperware, then chill it until hard. Then dump it out and you have exactly how much you need.

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Sift together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
Cut the coconut oil into cubes or just small pieces. Add it to the flour mixture and stir in with your hands, breaking up the pieces of coconut oil even smaller, until you have pebbly sized lumps throughout your flour.
Mix together the pumpkin and almond milk, then add it to the flour along with the mini chips. Stir with your hands, only until the dough it holding together. You won't get all the flour mixed in, but that's okay. You aren't making batter, just dough.
Dump out the dough onto a clean counter and carefully press the dough into a disk-sized shape, about 1/2" thick. You can go thicker if you have enough dough, just the thicker, the fewer scones you will end up with. Slice into wedges, slices, circles, whatever shape scone you want to eat.
Using a spatula, carefully transfer the shaped scones to a lined baking tray. Bake for 18 minutes or until firm to the touch, not too firm, just not mushy anymore. Let cool 5 minutes before serving. Store remaining scones in a paper bag.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm on a pumpkin kick these days- I baked vegan pumpkin chocolate chip muffins last sunday (posted the recipe... they were FAB) and today I roasted pumpkin which I spiced with cumin and Cayenne Pepper (so tasty... I will post the recipe for that too I think).
    These scones just might be the next thing on my list to bake!

    ReplyDelete