Banana Problems

Bananas and I go way back. Back to girl scouts when we made banana boats with chocolate and marshmallow wrapped in tinfoil and put them ove...

Bananas and I go way back. Back to girl scouts when we made banana boats with chocolate and marshmallow wrapped in tinfoil and put them over the fire to get all melty and awesome. I loved bananas and bananas loved me. Until recently.


I bought 365 Vegan Smoothies by Kathy Patalsky, which I loved, and was making a smoothie a day from. I had been on smoothies for about 2 months before I started getting sick. It was always in the morning, about 20 minutes after I drank my smoothie. I originally traced it back to a bunch I had bought, thinking it was a non-organic bunch, and maybe that's what happened. But even with the next batch, I got super nauseous about 20 minutes after drinking my smoothie.


I was trying to be healthier and eat something better for me in the morning, and the smoothies in Kathy Patalsky's book were great. I stocked up on all the smoothie essentials. But after a few months, I just couldn't tolerate the bananas anymore.  I tried forcing myself to eat them, insisting that if I just kept eating them, my body would stop rejecting them and we could live in harmony again. I kept thinking I could "beat" it, and that it's just a banana, how could it be making me so sick?


After puking for a week straight, I gave up. Almost all the recipes in her book include a banana, and the smoothies I've made without them just aren't anywhere near as good. I like using coconut yogurt instead sometimes, but I can never keep enough of it on hand to make a smoothie a day. Everyone keeps posting pictures of banana ice cream and their smoothies and everything but I'm so mad that I can't eat them without getting sick! It makes no sense!

The smoothie that ended it all was this chocolate banana date smoothie with peanut butter. It was delicious. Then it ruined the rest of my night. Can anyone help me? Has this happened to anyone else? I have done a little research and nothing seems to apply. I don't have fructose malabsorption, I eat lots of other fruits with no problem, it's not a gluten thing, and the nuts aren't bothering me either. Someone said it was potassium overdose, but according to what I've read, I'd need to eat about 30 bananas a second to reach those kinds of levels, and even so, the symptoms don't match up. Until further notice, I am on vega chocolate protein shakes for breakfast. And man, they do not taste good.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is a travesty; I have no idea. Have you asked Freelee? I mean, if anyone knows bananas...

    ReplyDelete