Mac And Cheese-- What Vegan Dreams Are Made Of

The story goes: You see your cousin that you never see except on Christmas, she asks how your life is going, you tell her about your job, y...

The story goes: You see your cousin that you never see except on Christmas, she asks how your life is going, you tell her about your job, your yoga class, your vegan blog... Then she goes, "Oh I could never go vegan! I love Cheese too much!!" And you debate whether or not it's worth it to tell her that the hormones in cheese are what are addicting her to it... but you decide-- it's not. Then you come home, and cook up one of eight zillion recipes for Vegan Mac and Cheese that paper the internet and fill your cookbooks, which fill your shelves, and sit down. Take a bite. Laugh. Maniacal laughter. How dumb is the rest of the world? This is the best tasting food ever. Not only do you disagree on multiple levels with the ethics of animal cheese, but there are so many question marks as to WTF is in there and what it could be doing to your body. All of that aside, because Who gives a shit, this mac and cheese is all you are ever going to need, crave, or want to eat ever again. 


Now everybody has got their favorite mac. Some people are all about the baked-in-a-casserole-dish mac, some people want it to taste as close to the kind that came from a blue box as possible, and some people will really just eat anything and like it. Mine varies from time to time. Current favorite? It's the Roasted Red Pepper Mac from Isa Does It, but you could have guessed that, couldn't you?


I sprinkle it with a little extra salt, add a bunch of extra nooch, and do a bunch of chili flakes. This is just what I do, do what you like. You can put chili powder on it, paprika, gummy bears. Do what you will. You're the one who is eating it-- Customize your mac!


I also love mushrooms. The BF leaves town like all the time, which is alright by me as long as it gives me license to cook all the food he doesn't like and eat all the mushrooms I've been missing out on since the last time he went out of town. We in mushroom town now. 


Guys I think Magic Hat replaced their Octoberfest beer, Hex, my FAV, with this pumpkin beer! It's good but not as good as Hex. It does have a cool title and cool picture on it, so I'll allow it. BF doesn't like pumpkin either, so I'm obviously guzzling this in my moment of solitude. So anyways, what's your favorite Vegan Mac recipe?? I've tried like 1 of the 8 zillion, but I'm always open to new ones!
Happy Fall/Mac/Monday!
<3 KZ

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. That mac's one of my favourites! I also love the New Farm recipe and like you I'm always on the look out for new carby, creamy, cheesy recipes to try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course a creamy, roux-based mac tastes great too! I also love butternut squash macs! I am all about saucy macs rather than dry (baked) ones, so the squash really helps it keep saucy even after the microwave.

      Delete
  2. I love this mac! My favorite is basically the same recipe from Isa, but I sub roasted red pepper for the chipotle in the chipotle mac n cheese on the ppk blog. it's not baked and the sauce isn't cooked so it's the easiest recipe ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG the chipotle mac was so good! I actually never bother with cooking the sauce... I just leave it going in my vitamix so it heats up after a couple minutes, then I just toss it with the pasta over a low heat for 1-2 minutes and stir until it's creamy. Who wants to wash another pot? I don't!

      Delete
  3. Damn! I'm actually not a mac & cheese - pasta in general - lover but served with like this with mushrooms and brussel sprouts, that's a train I could hop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really? Pasta is my life. But I definitely love serving it over or next to greens or veggies. You could even throw them straight in and mix it up. Mac is personal, customization.

      Delete
  4. You are hysterical! I want to print copies of your opener and just hand it to every person that says, "but what about cheese?" Mushroom town LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha honestly, Enough about the cheese! Everyone needs to reconsider if it's normal to be so obsessed with cheese.

      Delete
  5. I really need to try that roasted red pepper mac and cheese! Your bowl of it looks so creamy and perfect.

    ReplyDelete